Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Wet, Wild and (T)horny

A few weeks back I went to Burr Oaks for the second time. This paticular week I wanted to try out the habitat trail. A couple hundred yards into the trail I came across a body of water dubbed poetically (ok uncreatively) "The Watering Hole". While there I sat and relaxed searching for subject matter. I saw a red squirrel squatting to drink on the far bank, and several birds (I don't know the types) flitting around the banks and overhanging branches. Just sitting on the bank put me at peace and after an indeterminate period of time and taking a few so-so shots of the critters, I moved on. The path wound around to the other side of the pond and opened up giving me a shot I rather liked.















A little further up the trail while scanning the woods I caught a slow movement out of the corner of my eye. I slowly turned to see not five feet from me two wild turkey crossing the hickory covered trail. As they re-entered the wood I slowly moved up to where they were, while attaching the monopod to the camera. They slowly picked their way through the woods, pecking and scratching at the ground and periodically checking my location. I got a couple of shots, one that stands out, before the usual loud "walkers" came rumbling up the trail. (You may have noticed this becomes a theme at this paticular location).



















Moving on I came to a place marked by one of the many informational signs. The sign indicated the terrain was called a Glade. Now in my life the only "glade" I had ever heard of was the Everglades in south Florida. The definition of a glade is, a south facing, dry, rocky region. Typically home to cactus, tough vegitation, lizards, and of all things RATTLE SNAKES! Ok, I'm not a fan of snakes that aren't behind a very thick glass wall in a zoo so I was a tad nervous in this area (Yes, I know great woodsman). Luckily it was late enough in the year that the snakes weren't moving around. Back to my point (do I really have one?), if a glade is dry and rocky then how can they call that swampy area across south Florida the Everglades? I mean I drove across it on Alligator Alley once and it was anything but dry - and dear lord the alligators I saw. Sorry sidetracked again, you'll notice I do that alot. At anyrate I was suprised to find cactus in Missouri, especially in the chilly air that was starting to linger in mid October.
















Well there you have it, the Wild, Wet and (T)horny. Yes bad pun I know (is there any other kind?) but I'm in a silly mood, and the other titles I've come up with so far seemed so boring.

No comments: